In my senior year of high school I decided to take a class that would allow me to get my CNA (certified nursing assistant) license. I had finally made the choice that I wanted to study nursing in college and get my BSN. After a month or so of class work and a couple weeks in the nursing home it was time for our class to do our clinical’s at Thunderbird Hospital. The first week I worked in the Pediatrics unit, taking temperatures and measuring the intake and output of the children. But it was the next week that affected me the most.
The second week I was in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). After looking around at all the babies on the floor one little boy caught my eye. At birth he had weighed slightly over one pound and I also saw that he had been in the hospital for about four months. The nurse in the pod then explained to me that he was a meth baby. His mother of just barely seventeen had used meth all throughout the pregnancy. This little boy of only four months has gone through so much in his life. The nurse also told me that the reason he was still in the hospital was because the state still had not assigned him a foster home to be sent to. She also told me that he rarely got any visitors so he spent most of the day just laying in his bassinet. I spent the next two hours of the class holding and feeding the baby, giving him the love he was deprived of.
This experience really made me appreciate my parents and all that they have done for me throughout my life. Especially all the sacrifices they have made for me. My mom gave up several things while she was pregnant with me and could have easily gave in. But she made healthy choices which helped me become the healthy person that I am today. This experience also helped me decide which field of nursing I would like to specialize in. I want to be able to help baby’s in the fight for their life so they can grow up and live a normal life.
This experience really made me appreciate my parents and all that they have done for me throughout my life. Especially all the sacrifices they have made for me. My mom gave up several things while she was pregnant with me and could have easily gave in. But she made healthy choices which helped me become the healthy person that I am today. This experience also helped me decide which field of nursing I would like to specialize in. I want to be able to help baby’s in the fight for their life so they can grow up and live a normal life.

No comments:
Post a Comment