Sunday, October 3, 2010

Journal #5

I found Sloan's hypertext to be much more effective than the text from the book. The text in the book was easy to understand and I was able to come up with a picture in my head about what she was describing. The only difference was that what I was imaging was somewhat different than what she was actually describing. Also when looking at the images from the hypertext not only was I able to visualize what she was talking about better but I was also able to understand the picture she was trying to get us to paint in our heads. I could imagine where particular parts of the story took place. Although the pictures showed almost exactly what she was describing, I was still about to make up certain parts of the story in my head.
Another thing that I enjoyed about the images in the hypertext was the photography. The photographer gave great insight as to what the rundown city looked like. I also liked how the photos were taken in black and white. It added to the feeling of the story being taken place a while ago.

3 comments:

  1. Danielle,
    I agree that the hypertext was easy to understand and the visualization of the images really brought out the story. Personally, I liked seeing the pictures as well, but I like the text in the book more because of the personal aspect. The pictures and the photography added to the hypertext making it more interesting, and you right, I also thought it was cool to see how the pictures were taken in black and white from such a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked out you added about the pictures and how the photographer focused on giving it a perticular look. Clearly I thought about how the pictures were effective in the story and how it helped me, like you said, "paint a picture in my head", but when you mentioned the way the photography changes the perspective of the viewers is completely true. The fact that the photos were black and white DID give it an old feel, which made me feel a little more scared and mysterious. Its funny how when you read a book you imagine the characters to be something so different then when it comes out in a movie. Or when the book starts to become more popular and they start printing it more frequently, they have a picture on the front of the cover of the characters and it is so different that you ever imagined. Good job I really like that observation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like what you said regarding both the text and the book because I thought most of the same things. I thought that the book was more interesting to read just because we could use our imagination and think of a picture in our head. The only thing is that I too portrayed a different picture when I looked at the hypertext! But I think you stated good explanations about both!!

    ReplyDelete